Licensure & Affiliations

I earned my B.Sc. at The University of Toronto, and a Ph.D. in Psychology from the California School of Professional Psychology. CSPP is fully accredited by the American Psychological Association and is now part of Alliant University. Both the Ph.D. degree in psychology and the Psy.D. degree (Doctor of Psychology) require a minimum of four years of graduate school, including completion of a dissertation based on the student’s own original in-depth research.


I earned my psychology license in 1988. In California psychologists hold a doctorate in psychology and pass a strict state licensing exam. In California you must earn a psychology license in order to refer to yourself as a psychologist or claim you are practicing psychology or psychotherapy (except in some military and institutional settings.) Psychologists must include their license number when advertising or placing printed public announcements.

My California licenses are  #10673 | MFT #23675

Psychiatrists receive training different from psychologists. A psychiatrist is a fully licensed M.D. who goes on to post-graduate specialization in mental health just as another M.D. might specialize in internal medicine or pediatrics. Psychiatrists can prescribe drugs as well as provide counseling. Psychologists do not prescribe drugs in California,  with the possible exception of certain military contexts.

A Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) license requires a two-year MA degree in counseling and passing a state exam. The MA degree does not necessarily require the student to complete research. I earned a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT 23675 ) license in 1986, at the same time as when I was working on my Ph.D. I enjoy working with families and couples as well as individuals. If you have younger children who need treatment, I can provide you with a referral.



  • Gottman Couples Therapist Level II
  • Imago Couples Therapist Level II
  • EFT Couples Therapist Level I


Scroll to Top