- Couples therapy, marriage counseling, and help for complex relationships.
- Short-term individual therapy focused on symptom relief.
- Long-term individual psychotherapy focused on personality issues and deeper change.
- Supervision of two interns who can provide lower cost services
- Consultation to therapists.
With thirty years of experience, I bring warmth, experience, and practical insight to my work in psychotherapy. I have learned to be flexible in approaching different problems with different tools, always research-based.
Every person and couple I see is different: different strengths; different weaknesses; and their own way of managing conflict and connection. I love this aspect of my work. The endless variety that people bring into my office makes my work an ongoing source of challenge, interest and pleasure.
I enjoy providing psychotherapy now as much as when I was new to the field. To keep fresh I limit the hours I practice each week, read widely, attend new workshops, consult with colleagues on new ideas, and find pleasure in my clients and their progress. I also enjoy the technical process of the work itself, and the elegance and logic of current theories of psychotherapy. And, my work has changed: fifteen years ago almost all my work was individual psychotherapy. Now over half my work is with couples therapy.
Only 18% of therapists doing couple therapy in the US actually have training in couples work! Our team uses EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy). EFT was developed for couples work, and has been expanded to work with other relationships. It is a well proven, evidence-based approach that has been researched over 25 years. When useful, we will integrate interventions from other schools of therapy to our core EFT approach.
My goal is to help people heal and move on as quickly as possible, but there is no magic. What at first looks like a simple task of symptom relief can sometimes uncover deeper issues, and deeper change takes time. “Short-term psychotherapy” is 12 to 13 sessions. “Long-term psychotherapy” can last a year or several years. Couples work typically takes 15 to 20 sessions, but may last longer.
The best way to set up an appointment is to call. My voice mail is confidential. (619) 993-3397). Email and texting also works, but calling works best.
OUR TEAM OF ASSOCIATES OFFERS LOWER FEE SERVICES
Dr McConnell provides clinical supervision to two associates. As a team, we provide experience and specialization in a wide range of issues. For more about Dr. McConnell, click here. For more about Julia and Lonny, see “Our Team” Tab.
Julia Schiffman, MSW, ASW (ASW 77096)
Julia’s calm and warm presence is therapeutic in itself. She helps clients understand the inner dynamics of their conflicts so they can move forward. She has a wide background in counseling and sex education
Lonny Miller, MA, MFTA (103902)
Lonny takes a client-centered, humanistic approach. His style is warm and nurturing.
Here’s some links to Dr. McConnell’s approach to therapy:
- Couples Counseling & Marriage Counseling (affairs, distancing, fighting)
- Depression and Psychotherapy (break-ups, loneliness and isolation)
- Anxiety and Psychotherapy
- Inner Financial Health (money scripts, over-spending, procrastination about financial planning)
- Addiction Counseling and Recovery
- Alternative Sexualities & Genders Counseling (LGBTTQIA / Spicy / BDSM / Kink / Poly / Trans)
- Group Work: Integrating Eros and Intimacy with BDSM & Poly
- Workers and Victims Compensation
- Hypnosis and Psychotherapy