- Couples therapy, marriage counseling, and pre-marital counseling.
- Short-term individual therapy focused on symptom relief.
- Long-term individual psychotherapy focused on personality issues and deeper change.
- Supervision and consultation to therapists.
With twenty-five years of experience, I bring warmth, experience, and practical insight to my work in psychotherapy. I have learned to be flexible in approaching different problems with different tools.
Every person and couple I see is different: different strengths; different weaknesses; and their own way of managing conflict and connection. I love this aspect of my work. The endless variety that people bring into my office makes my work an ongoing source of challenge, interest and pleasure.
I enjoy providing psychotherapy now as much as when I was new to the field. To keep fresh I limit the hours I practice each week, read widely, attend new workshops, consult with colleagues on new ideas, and find pleasure in my clients and their progress. I also enjoy the technical process of the work itself, and the elegance and logic of current theories of psychotherapy. And, my work has changed: fifteen years ago almost all my work was individual psychotherapy. Now over half my work is with couples therapy.
My goal is to help people heal and move on as quickly as possible, but there is no magic. What at first looks like a simple task of symptom relief can sometimes uncover deeper issues, and deeper change takes time. “Short-term psychotherapy” is 12 to 13 sessions. “Long-term psychotherapy” can last a year or several years.
If cost is an issue, you might consider seeing my colleague, Jennifer Rehor, MFT (LMFT 94564). Jennifer worked directly under my supervision for several years and now has her own practice.
Here’s an orientation to my thinking on some relevant topics:
- Couples Counseling & Marriage Counseling (affairs, distancing, fighting)
- Depression and Psychotherapy (break-ups, loneliness and isolation)
- Anxiety and Psychotherapy
- Inner Financial Health (money scripts, over-spending, procrastination about financial planning)
- Addiction Counseling and Recovery
- Alternative Sexuality Counseling (LGBTTQ / BDSM / Kink)
- Workers and Victims Compensation
- Hypnosis and Psychotherapy
The best way to set up an appointment is to call me. All information left on my voice mail is treated as confidential. Please leave some “best times” for me to get back to you. Email also works, but calling me works best.